The future has a nasty habit of giving a peek of itself in the present. When the Apple personal computer came out, nobody imagined it would bring forth a revolution. So was the case with the introduction of the internet. Nobody could foresee the future possibilities of a seemingly insignificant invention of today. Modern communication has led to a unification of ideas over a large geographical scale, thus leading to greater uses of modern inventions in more ideas than previously possible. One such idea is the LED tube light.
LED is an abbreviation for a Light Emitting Diode. In scientific terms, it is a semiconductor light source. With its inception in 1962, nobody realized the full implications of this tiny invention. Initially, LEDs could only emit red light. But with tweaks and upgrades, now LEDs can produce light of any colour, even going beyond the visible spectrum. A brief explanation of the working of the LED tube light in layman terms is that when the switch is on, electrons combine with electron holes in the semiconductor to give out energy in the form of photons or tiny packets of light. This effect in scientific terms is referred to as electroluminescence.
The advantages of LEDs and LED tube light are enormous. The basic property difference between the light generation capabilities of a LED and a conventional light bulbs lead to astonishing differences between the functioning of these two artificial light sources. An LED tube light would last up to 100,000 hours of continuous usage, as compared to a paltry 5000 hours of usage time given by conventional light bulbs and tube lights. This would mean less long term expense, less expense of changing lights frequently and less work. For businesses using a large number of artificial light sources, conventional incandescent bulbs would mean frequent changing of bulbs and a large amount of money spent on labour charge, not to mention the amount of time that are wasted sue to these changes. LED tube light would lower the frequency of replacement and thus overall expense.
Apart from the long life, LED tube light has very high energy efficiency. In simple terms, that means that for all the energy it consumes, it will emit 80% as light and the other 20% as heat. An average incandescent bulb to tube light would emit only 20% of the energy consumed as light and the rest 80% as heat. Therefore LED tube lights use up less electricity along with the added benefit of durability. Combine both of these together and you have a LED tube light which needs lesser energy and lesser maintenance which results in much lower expenses than conventional incandescent light sources.
Modern science and advertisement is working furiously to bring this new revolution into everybody's personal space. Already LEDs are being used in traffic signal, airport runways and even hand held flashlight. With the introduction of the LED tube lights, LED lighting has reached everybody's home. Progressively, the world would shift over from conventional incandescent tube light and light bulb to LED tube light. Gradually, everyone would see the light. Literally!